Author Topic: Comeaux reaches 1,001 wins  (Read 2614 times)

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
    • Port Neches-Groves Indians Football
Comeaux reaches 1,001 wins
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:20:51 PM »
JOHNNIE WALTERS: Comeaux has 1,001 ways to thank players
By JOHNNIE WALTERS
November, 10, 2008

A great coach, yes. An icon, no doubt.

But don't call Barbara Comeaux arrogant. The Port Neches-Groves volleyball coach is far from it. She remains gracious and humble at all times and seems most comfortable discussing the achievements of her teams instead of her illustrious career.

"You don't have to put me in the spotlight," Comeaux said. "It should be about the kids. It's what the volleyball program has done over the years and not just what I've done."

But despite her modest attitude, what Comeaux accomplished is a big deal. The Rock-A-Noos coach reached her 1,000th career win last week.

It's an accomplishment some might expect to transform some coaches. But for those who know Comeaux, she still remains the same.

"To be honest, I hadn't even thought about it until a week prior," she said. "Someone made a comment that I was almost at 1,000 wins. So later on that day, I added it up and they were right. But I didn't want to make a big deal about at the time, because I wanted to focus on the season and the playoffs."

The Rock-A-Noos defeated Kingwood Park 3-1 in the first round of the Class 4A playoffs, before losing to Buda Hays 3-1 in the second round. PN-G finished in second place in District 20-4A to advance.

"Each team that I have had over the years has taken the season seriously," Comeaux said. "So I really didn't want to add pressure to them. I care more about winning games than my record."

Comeaux, who has 38 years coaching experience, has a career match record of 1,001 wins and 257 losses.

"My success over the years has had a lot to do with the kids," said Comeaux, who was a freshman coach at French High School for a year before accepting the PN-G job. "I wouldn't have gotten to this point without the players and the coaches that I've had throughout the years."

But contrary to what Comeaux believes, good players and assistants can't do it alone. There must be a leader at the forefront to guide a team to success.

For the last 37 years, Comeaux has been at the helm of the Rock-A-Noos program. Since her arrival in 1971, the Rock-A-Noos have become one of the most successful programs in the state.

Comeaux led the Rock-A-Noos to state championship titles in 1972, 1979 and 1981. She won her first state title during her first year on the job with the Rock-A-Noos.

The Rock-A-Noos were state semifinalists in 1978 and were state runners-up in 1980.

"I couldn't believe that we made it to state four years in a row when we made our last appearance in 1981," Comeaux said. "It was an exciting time for us. There were some great teams to come through the program during that time. I am friends with some of the kids that I coached in the '70s and '80s."

Despite not making another state appearance since then, the Rock-A-Noos have managed to gain success in different ways. The Rock-A-Noos won 55 consecutive district matches between 2000-04.

Comeaux also led the team to seven regional tournament appearances, along with 35 playoff appearances. The Rock-A-Noos, who finished third in district only one time during Comeaux's stint, have either finished in first or second place in district during her years as head coach.

"There have been so many great moments and great teams that have come through this program," Comeaux said. "I'm just fortunate as a coach to have had so many athletes that were willing to work hard and pay the price to be successful."

Comeaux says that a lot, too.

But thanks to her, those players and assistants have many great memories to cherish for years to come.
Port Neches-Groves Indians
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
26-time District Champions
60th team in UIL History to reach 500 wins
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline PNG NDN Fan

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
Re: Comeaux reaches 1,001 wins
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:19:22 PM »
Coach Comeaux is like the PN-G version of Pat Summit (Tennessee Lady Vols Basketball Coach) 

Congrats to her on 1001.

"Comeaux Gymnasium"  and "Ethridge Field" should be somewhere in the future of the facilities of PN-G High School.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:45:02 PM by PNG NDN Fan »

Offline EX79NDN

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
Coach Comeaux is like the PN-G version of Pat Summit (Tennessee Lady Vols Basketball Coach) 

Congrats to her on 1001.

"Comeaux Gymnasium"  and "Ethridge Field" should be somewhere in the future of the facilities of PN-G High School.

Alright!!!! I second that.....Way to go Coach Comeaux..... :woohoo: You ROCK!!!! :clap:  :rocks: :clap:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:45:30 PM by PNG NDN Fan »

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 08:07:10 PM »

Congrats to her on 1001.

I was thinking that Durham Press Box had a ring to it also.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:45:12 PM by PNG NDN Fan »

Offline PNG NDN Fan

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 07:44:40 PM »
Agreed on that also, Tippy should definitely be honored in a lasting way.

Offline PNG Proud

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:07:48 PM »
I always liked Ms Comeaux.  I met her first when she taught me how to drive during the summer of 73'.  She was pretty cool then too! (And my sister played on her State Championship team in 73'.

Congrats Coach!
Go Indians!!!