Author Topic: lamar spring game this saturday  (Read 1167 times)

Offline lu cards

lamar spring game this saturday
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:38:28 PM »
april 10th, 300pm @ lamar soccer field.

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
Re: lamar spring game this saturday
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:00:05 AM »
I went to the spring game yesterday.  After a slow start, the offense looked pretty good.  I'd say they passed 65-70% of the time.

In my opinion, the starting QB was not that great.  He is short and has to put a fairly large arc on the ball to prevent it from being batted down at the line.  His first three plays consisted of a sack, a batted ball, and a sack.  His last play was an interception returned for roughly 50 yards. The only reason I could find for this kid starting is that he played at the previous college for the coach who is now LU's offensive coordinator.  The second string QB looked better, but allowed himself to be rushed too easily and he held on to the ball too long, sometimes putting it up just to avoid a sack.  Tatum (#8) appears to be 3rd string QB.  While he seemed to lack intensity, he was the most accurate and least hurried QB out there.  I can only recall one incompletion by Tatum, but there were probably more.  He also was in charge of a more balanced offense.  They probably passed 50% with Tatum under center and out in shotgun formation.

With the exception of two plays, Lamar appeared to have absolutely NO running game. Rushers had a very difficult time getting through the line. The fourth play of the game caught the defense off guard and went for about a 45 yard rush.  Much later in the game, a reverse to a WR went for a very long distance, but came quite a bit back on a clipping call downfield.  That was pretty much it for rushing other than short yardage plays and plays that went absolutely nowhere.

The defense looked stout, and I don't recall many plays McLin (#50) did not line up for.  He is HUGE.  One of the tallest and largest players on the team.

Speaking of size . . . I cant remember the position, but they actually had a player suited out that measured in at 5'4", 125 pounds.

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
    • Port Neches-Groves Indians Football
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »
Lamar quarterbacks pass for 268 yards, four touchdowns in 2010 Spring Game

April 10, 2010

BEAUMONT - Three Lamar University quarterbacks combined for 268 passing yards and four touchdowns, and the rushing attack accounted for an additional 137 yards and another TD Saturday afternoon in the Cardinals' 2010 Spring Game.

A standing-room-only crowd of about 800 at the Lamar Soccer Complex saw quarterbacks Andre Bevil, Harrison Tatum and Kevin Smith complete 23 of 35 passes while throwing only one interception with it being made by linebacker Johnathan Epke on the game's final play.

Bevil, a junior-to-be from West Orange-Stark by way of Navarro College, completed eight of 17 attempts for 139 yards and threw the interception. He tossed touchdown passes of 29 and 44 yards, both to wide receiver J.J. Hayes, a junior from Diboll and also from Navarro College.

Tatum, a freshman from Port Neches-Groves, completed seven of nine passes for 77 yards and one TD. It went for five yards to sophomore wide receiver Van Lawrence Franks on the final play of the first half.

Smith, a redshirt freshman transfer from West Texas A&M, went eight-for-11 for 52 yards, and he threw a 23-yard touchdown to freshman wide receiver Jordan Edwards of Houston Madison.

Edwards was the leading receiver on the afternoon with seven catches for 107 yards. Franks had four catches for 35 yards, while Hayes had three for 82.

Junior tailback Cornelius Shackelford of Tyler John Tyler broke a 41-yard touchdown run on his first carry of the afternoon, and he finished with a game-high 57 rushing yards on four carries. Junior Marcus Jackson of Tyler Lee added 48 yards on three carries.

In addition to Epke's interception, which he returned 45 yards, the defense had a fumble recovery by defensive back Randy Musgrove. The defense also recorded four quarterback sacks and had three other plays for negative yards and four for no-gains.
Port Neches-Groves Indians
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
26-time District Champions
60th team in UIL History to reach 500 wins
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
    • Port Neches-Groves Indians Football
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
Here's the LU roster

Tatum has grown to be a fairly big QB at 6-1 205.  Caleb Harmon should be able to step in next season and be a leader on offense with his intensity and ability to pick up the tough yards.  Last season his yards after contact were the most impressive part of his game. Here's to hoping that the offensive line improves enough to assist.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:44:49 PM by IndianFan »
Port Neches-Groves Indians
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
26-time District Champions
60th team in UIL History to reach 500 wins
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com