Author Topic: Government’s “power to lay and collect taxes.”  (Read 1505 times)

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
    • Port Neches-Groves Indians Football
Government’s “power to lay and collect taxes.”
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
Are all you people who voted for B.O. getting the warm fuzzies now?  Hold on to your freedom while you've still got it.  And continue watching the master plan unfold that you empowered him to start.  >:(

While Congress was working on the health care legislation, Mr. Obama refused to accept the argument that a mandate to buy insurance, enforced by financial penalties, was equivalent to a tax.

Moreover, the department says the penalty is a tax because it will raise substantial revenue: $4 billion a year by 2017, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Because the penalty is a tax, the department says, no one can challenge it in court before paying it and seeking a refund.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/health/policy/18health.html?_r=1&ref=politics
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 12:55:17 AM by IndianFan »
Port Neches-Groves Indians
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
26-time District Champions
60th team in UIL History to reach 500 wins
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline PN-G bamatex

• Veteran
Re: Government’s “power to lay and collect taxes.”
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
This all changes come January. I hope he's enjoyed the ride, because America's waking up and the political backlash is going to be a whole lot bigger than anything his strategists have projected.
The thing about being an Indian is that you're an Indian, no matter what. It doesn't matter if you play soccer or a tuba, it doesn't matter if you're on the football team or the drill team, it doesn't matter if you lead the cheers or the jeers. You're still part of that "Honor, Pride, & Tradition."

Offline OldEagle

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »
bandkid,
Somehow I knew you would be the first to reply to this article.  I know how strong you feel about this and I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Remember it took a Carter to get a Reagan.  Just wondering what we will get after Obama!

Offline PNG NDN Fan

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:36:41 PM »
Well I think Carter was just bit before bandkid's time. :).  The sentence that is highlighted in red is my biggest concern.

Offline justafan

• Veteran