Author Topic: Concession stand menu?  (Read 10884 times)

Offline Former NDNette

Re: Concession stand menu?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 12:44:06 AM »
You lose money in the concession stand when the food is disgusting.  I have to be honest, I was prepared to eat out of the concession stand at every game.  My kids were raised on concession stand food during baseball season when growing up, as both me and their dad were board members and had to be there every day.  I ate out of the concession stand the first game.  Haven't bought food there since. 

Offline squaw

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »
Ok, here's the scoop! We ARE paying the cafeteria workers overtime when they work in the concession stand.  All the money after costs goes into the cafeteria account at the ISD. They are not using Pizza Inn or Billy Joe's for any food, nor are they using volunteers or students.  That is why there are crowds--they only open half the serving windows.  The lines are way too long.  Why not have a window for those only wanting drinks?  No?  That makes too much sense? I think the concession stand needs one boss who oversees the student organizations who work it and students get the profit from it (such as the band--they requested one night a season and were told "NO") After ALL these great home games I heard that the profit was only $3500.00 even though they sold $18,000.00 worth of food at MCM.  Go figure--I give up.

Offline Purple Rain

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »
VOLUNTEERS. Gee that's a great idea! I wonder why nobody ever thought about this? NOT
I think that's why we're in this situation now. YOU CAN'T GET ANYONE TO VOLUNTEER. We haven't had volunteer workers in the concession stand for many, many, many years

Offline squaw

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 02:55:34 PM »
VOLUNTEERS. Gee that's a great idea! I wonder why nobody ever thought about this? NOT
I think that's why we're in this situation now. YOU CAN'T GET ANYONE TO VOLUNTEER. We haven't had volunteer workers in the concession stand for many, many, many years
I am NOT a band parent, but I'd bet you money if the band could use the money to support their causes you would have all the unpaid volunteers you wanted.  Ditto other student organizations. Students will work for their cause just like most adults.

Offline Cheermom4

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »
Wasn't it just a few years ago that kids did work the concession stands before the new stadium was built???  I know there were adults working it also but I seem to remember lots of teenagers working.  I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Offline OldEagle

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
At least now volunteers could keep up with the game via the screens that are in the concession stands.

Offline Purple Rain

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »
You are right Old Eagle. Before, there were some adults and some students - but they were all paid.

Offline squaw

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »
You are right Old Eagle. Before, there were some adults and some students - but they were all paid.
You are right, PurpleRain.  Now, follow up and ask "are the cafeteria workers who are mostly managers being paid their large salary plus overtime?"

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »
I just want the food changed.  Other than the hot links, it's horrible.  My daughter took one bite and refused to eat more.  (For you sterner parents, no I don't force my child to eat what she doesn't like.  That's how eating disorders are started.) Anyway, I didn't like what I had either.

I'm not a complainer, but I am interested in getting this changed.

Offline squaw

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 02:13:56 PM »
I just want the food changed.  Other than the hot links, it's horrible.  My daughter took one bite and refused to eat more.  (For you sterner parents, no I don't force my child to eat what she doesn't like.  That's how eating disorders are started.) Anyway, I didn't like what I had either.

I agree.  The food at the Pony-Colt baseball concession stand was much better and it was simple, easy fast food--hotdogs, Frito pies, hot links, chipped beef, various chips, candy and drinks. What is so hard to do?  Also, profit should benefit students (in my opinion).

Offline NDNTime

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 03:43:47 PM »
We should keep the links.  Bring back Pizza Inn.  Maybe Grill some boudain.  Add some nachos.

Get rid of the burgers, chicken sandwiches, bbq sandwiches, and the microwave pizzas.

This seems simple enough to me!

Offline Cheermom4

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »
I wonder how much food is actually left over at the end of the game???

Offline PN-G bamatex

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »

She better bring a lunch when she gets to high school. They're serving you the same thing they serve us every day at lunch.

Again, this food isn't exactly the cafeteria ladies' fault (at least not during lunch). There's only so much they can do with minimal funding, low-quality food, and these stupid nutritional regulations.
The thing about being an Indian is that you're an Indian, no matter what. It doesn't matter if you play soccer or a tuba, it doesn't matter if you're on the football team or the drill team, it doesn't matter if you lead the cheers or the jeers. You're still part of that "Honor, Pride, & Tradition."

Offline Cheermom4

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »

She better bring a lunch when she gets to high school. They're serving you the same thing they serve us every day at lunch.

Again, this food isn't exactly the cafeteria ladies' fault (at least not during lunch). There's only so much they can do with minimal funding, low-quality food, and these stupid nutritional regulations.

Both of my kids have no complaints with the food at the HS.  They eat the same thing almost everyday.

Offline allstarmom

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »
My son almost never eats lunch at the HS.  I put $50 in his account when school started and it lasted until just last week.

And Squaw, I am not sure how much the cafeteria ladies make working in the stand, but I worked 1 game and made $11.  Never again!!

Offline Cheermom4

• Veteran
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »
My son almost never eats lunch at the HS.  I put $50 in his account when school started and it lasted until just last week.

And Squaw, I am not sure how much the cafeteria ladies make working in the stand, but I worked 1 game and made $11.  Never again!!

Wow, does he bring his lunch.  My kids go through about $50. a month.  The youngest one maybe $25 a month but she brings her lunch a lot.

Offline allstarmom

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2009, 03:16:34 PM »
He hasn't brought his lunch since the 5th grade.  No, he doesn't eat at all and then is STARVING when he gets home.

Offline Cheermom4

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »
He hasn't brought his lunch since the 5th grade.  No, he doesn't eat at all and then is STARVING when he gets home.

Yuck, I hate that.  It isn't cool to bring your lunch to school when you are in HS. 

Offline PN-G bamatex

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2009, 01:20:09 AM »

Yuck, I hate that.  It isn't cool to bring your lunch to school when you are in HS. 

I don't know that I'd say that. I know several kids that bring their lunch to school and I did at one time. It's often better than the alternative (at least, in my opinion).

The best line to go through is the "Sweet Treats" line. It used to have only cookies, ice cream, and occasionally cake, but the state in its infinitessimal wisdom decided that any cookie that isn't chocolate is unfit for the student body and now, to make up for the loss, the cafeteria ladies are serving the links, bagged pizzas, cheese sticks, egg rolls, and a few other items. The nachos on Wednesday and Friday out of the mexican food line aren't bad and I can grab a BBQ sandwich every now and then, but it's still not comparable to what I (and I believe most) consider food OR what we used to have for lunch back in my elementary days. It's sub-par. It's not the cafeteria ladies' fault (they do their best and we all appreciate that, as well as their enthusiasm and support - I mean, seriously, how many cafeteria ladies have their own pep rallies during lunch on Fridays?), it's just that they don't have much to work with.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:24:57 AM by bandkid »
The thing about being an Indian is that you're an Indian, no matter what. It doesn't matter if you play soccer or a tuba, it doesn't matter if you're on the football team or the drill team, it doesn't matter if you lead the cheers or the jeers. You're still part of that "Honor, Pride, & Tradition."

Offline OldEagle

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2009, 01:22:51 AM »
Compared to the concession stand at Stallworth, we have it good.  Stallworth had few choices and high prices.  For example:  $3.25 for a hot dog, $2.50 for popcorn, drinks $2.50.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:24:39 AM by OldEagle »

Offline Cheermom4

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 08:30:33 AM »

I don't know that I'd say that. I know several kids that bring their lunch to school and I did at one time. It's often better than the alternative (at least, in my opinion).

The best line to go through is the "Sweet Treats" line. It used to have only cookies, ice cream, and occasionally cake, but the state in its infinitessimal wisdom decided that any cookie that isn't chocolate is unfit for the student body and now, to make up for the loss, the cafeteria ladies are serving the links, bagged pizzas, cheese sticks, egg rolls, and a few other items. The nachos on Wednesday and Friday out of the mexican food line aren't bad and I can grab a BBQ sandwich every now and then, but it's still not comparable to what I (and I believe most) consider food OR what we used to have for lunch back in my elementary days. It's sub-par. It's not the cafeteria ladies' fault (they do their best and we all appreciate that, as well as their enthusiasm and support - I mean, seriously, how many cafeteria ladies have their own pep rallies during lunch on Fridays?), it's just that they don't have much to work with.

I meant yuck that her son was starving when he got home.  I know my youngest one eats so early that she is starving by the time she gets home at almost 3:30.

Offline NDN X

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2009, 08:43:37 AM »
Compared to the concession stand at Stallworth, we have it good.  Stallworth had few choices and high prices.  For example:  $3.25 for a hot dog, $2.50 for popcorn, drinks $2.50.
I agree about the prices being high, but the plain hot dogs with a little mustard and relish sure were good. ( maybe I was just too hungry to think about the price at the time also!)
Once an Indian....always an Indian!

Offline OldEagle

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2009, 09:22:39 AM »
Well, I brought a hot dog with chili & cheese (although I didn't really see any cheese) for $3.25 and it wasn't too good.  I guess I should have went with the plain hot dog plus it cost less.

Offline Cheermom4

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »
We went to the Nederland game and the prices at the concession stand were high there also.  Thank goodness for us we went to eat at Pappacita's.