Author Topic: Indian Stadium Renovation  (Read 85096 times)

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
    • Port Neches-Groves Indians Football
Re: Indian Stadium Renovation
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 02:19:47 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time.  That also happened back when Indian Stadium was being built in the 50's.  Or maybe there was another reason.

If Nederland were undergoing similar changes I would expect they'd work out a deal to do the same.  It's the only logical thing to do.
Port Neches-Groves Indians
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
26-time District Champions
60th team in UIL History to reach 500 wins
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline Bigdog

• The Dog
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 05:07:21 PM »
The only difference I think is if Ned passes thier bond, the new stadium is going to be onsite with the high school, and we will be able to use the old one until then.  I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:10:46 PM by Bigdog »

Respect is earned, not given.

Follow me on twitter for updates :  @NedDogs [/siz

Offline NDN fan 4ever

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »
Well I know for a fact that my son will be "thrilled" to play his senior year in Nederland stadium >:( >:( >:( >:(.  When these kids were in middle school they had already figured out that they would play Nederland at the Rez their senior year.  When the bond was proposed, we parents were assured that the worst we could expect was an interruption of the non-district games.  I realize that the new stadium is great in the long run but lets consider next year's seniors (football, band, NDNettes, etc.)who didn't realize that they were really playing their last game at home this year.

BTW, has anyone figured out how much revenue we stand to lose playing at another district's stadium?  We will have to share ticket proceeds to cover that districts costs of stadium operations.  A reduction in our revenue not only impacts football but all other NDN sports as well.  Football ticket proceeds bankroll the other sports expenditures because unfortunately the other sports don't generate the attendance $$$$ that football does.  We cannot use state $$$ to offset athletic losses.  We've been asking these questions but no one seems to know the answer (or wants to fess up). 

Offline Bigdog

• The Dog
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »
Well I know for a fact that my son will be "thrilled" to play his senior year in Nederland stadium >:( >:( >:( >:(.  When these kids were in middle school they had already figured out that they would play Nederland at the Rez their senior year.  When the bond was proposed, we parents were assured that the worst we could expect was an interruption of the non-district games.  I realize that the new stadium is great in the long run but lets consider next year's seniors (football, band, NDNettes, etc.)who didn't realize that they were really playing their last game at home this year.

There was no guarentee of that.  Realignment sometimes messes up the home/away schedule.  I know that we played yall at home two years in a row a couple of times.

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »
The only difference I think is if Ned passes thier bond, the new stadium is going to be onsite with the high school, and we will be able to use the old one until then.  I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!!

Is NISD planning a new stadium?  From what I've heard, there is not enough taxable value to build a new stadium.  I know that many of the schools are getting what amounts to "patchwork" because there just isn't enough money in a possible bond to do much.  At least this is what Helena Park teachers have been told is the reason for the few things they may get out of the bond.

I think it would be great if y'all got a new stadium also, but realize that we are spending $9 million, and that does not include parking, the visitor's side, or a field house.  Include inflation and the lack of a work force due to refinery expansion by the time your bond passes, and labor will cost all that much more.

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 01:28:05 PM »
Most noticeably, the home side concession stand is gone.  Maybe next week I'll stand in the bed of my truck to get better pictures over the fence.

Offline justafan

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
Is anything going to be done to the visitors bleachers?

Offline PNG Proud

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2008, 06:36:43 PM »
Not to my knowlege, however, they sure have removed sizable areas of it.    Since they were all built at the same time, and since the engineers had issues with the structural integrity of it in the past, it would sure make scense to at least beef it up while this is going on.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 06:53:48 PM by PNG Proud »
Go Indians!!!

jmarioneaux

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 08:11:27 PM »
I am going to like the new stadium looks .

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 10:19:20 PM »
Is anything going to be done to the visitors bleachers?

The original plans only included slight rework of the existing stands.  They have already removed the press box and stairs leading up to it.
The remainder of the work will be to accommodate the new restrooms, concession stands and ticket office.  Anyone know if they at least plan to sandblast and paint the underside?

3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 11:34:26 PM »
At this point, I think its anyone's guess as to any thing that may happen.  Original plans did not include the scoreboard and sound system.  Neither did they include complete demolition of the home stands.  My perception is that we'll know what's going on as it is done.

Offline Bigdog

• The Dog
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 12:19:20 AM »

Is NISD planning a new stadium?  From what I've heard, there is not enough taxable value to build a new stadium.  I know that many of the schools are getting what amounts to "patchwork" because there just isn't enough money in a possible bond to do much.  At least this is what Helena Park teachers have been told is the reason for the few things they may get out of the bond.

I think it would be great if y'all got a new stadium also, but realize that we are spending $9 million, and that does not include parking, the visitor's side, or a field house.  Include inflation and the lack of a work force due to refinery expansion by the time your bond passes, and labor will cost all that much more.

The last thing I have heard is a  new High school and CO Wilson. The new stadium will be built where the current high school stands, so there will be no need for a field house, or parking it is already there. Again, last thing I heard.  I'm sure that there will be additional improvements to other schools.  Helena got a new addition a few years ago, and a new roof after Rita.  That school is not in too bad of shape.

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2008, 12:26:24 AM »
At this point, I think its anyone's guess as to any thing that may happen.  Original plans did not include the scoreboard and sound system.  Neither did they include complete demolition of the home stands.  My perception is that we'll know what's going on as it is done.

The scoreboard sounds like a normal purchase outside of the bond.  Advertising will easily pay for it so it's a no brainer.

The first plan presented by SHW did include demolition of the home side.  It would be necessary to build out that design.
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »
No updates on the stadium progress?  Does anyone here drive by it?  Any news is appreciated.
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline WB/NDN

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 10:55:02 PM »
Last thing I saw was last week and it looked like they were cleaning up the debris and lots of dirt work on the field. Saw a bunch of stakes like they may be mapping out the drainage system. I go by their every day anything changes I'll post it.

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 11:34:43 PM »
I'll take more pictures Saturday.

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2008, 08:29:51 PM »
Sounds good.

The district hasn't posted any new pictures in a week.  That's no way to treat inquiring minds.  ;)
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »
Here are the new pictures.  They are continuing the demolition of the Cosmetology building, have demolished one of the ticket booths, and are moving the end zone stands (to the tennis courts, I believe).

Offline PNG1992

• Port Neches, TEXAS
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »
every time I pass by the stadium I wish while they had the chance they'd go ahead and finish it with all the original perks they talked about. Its gonna be really really nice and I cant wait but I still wish all the "extras" werent being taken out of the plans, expecially all the bricks enclosing the stands.

They'll regret not finding a way to get it done in a few years....JMO.

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 12:33:47 PM »
While I feel the same way you do, the bricks surrounding the stands can be added later.  The main thing that will have to stay as it is will be the press box -- 2 stories instead of 3.  That is something we'll rarely ever realize as fans.

I thought it would have been nice to keep the "pro shop", but it was unnecessary.  I was thinking of the possibilities of the things they could sell through it.  Once again, if the necessity arises for one, it can probably be added later.  Does anyone know, if any, how many high school stadiums actually have a pro shop?

I'm excited that we will be getting the video screen on the score board and an upgraded sound system.  Though they are not included in the bond money, these are things that we will notice far more often than a 3 story press box.

I am remaining optimistic that the stadium will be everything the students deserve it to be.  I am also remaining optimistic that other projects may be added to the stadium in the future either via another bond, or a little at a time out of the maintenance and operation budget.  Heck, even allow advertising in the stadium to raise money for more projects.  Let Coca-Cola put their name on the concession stands for a hefty price.  We have some of the best attendance in the area.  It would be advertising well spent for them.

Offline PNG Proud

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 10:18:04 PM »
Why did they demo the Cosmo bldg.?  For more parking?
Go Indians!!!

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 11:49:35 PM »
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:54:45 PM by IndianFan »
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 11:50:20 PM »
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2008, 04:47:31 PM »
More pictures taken today.  They've really slowed down.  It looks like the demolition stage should be wrapping up soon.  Hopefully we'll see some things start to get put in soon.  The field looks leveled, and they have put fresh sand behind the visitors' side.

Offline IBLEEDPURPLE

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »
and then came the rain................
"We don't know your fight song...but I bet you won't forget ours!"