Author Topic: Under Restructuring, GM To Build More Cars Overseas  (Read 1894 times)

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
    • Port Neches-Groves Indians Football
Under Restructuring, GM To Build More Cars Overseas
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:36:56 AM »
Another step towards dismantling the manufacuring base of America...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/07/AR2009050704336.html
Port Neches-Groves Indians
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
26-time District Champions
60th team in UIL History to reach 500 wins
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline PN-G bamatex

• Veteran
Re: Under Restructuring, GM To Build More Cars Overseas
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »
This is why we never should have "globalized" our economy. Those agreements, especially NAFTA, should never have happened.
The thing about being an Indian is that you're an Indian, no matter what. It doesn't matter if you play soccer or a tuba, it doesn't matter if you're on the football team or the drill team, it doesn't matter if you lead the cheers or the jeers. You're still part of that "Honor, Pride, & Tradition."

Offline squaw

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »
This is why we never should have "globalized" our economy. Those agreements, especially NAFTA, should never have happened.
OMG, this scares me.  I finally found something to agree with you on!  ::) Funny, I own a Toyota car and it was built entirely in Kentucky.

Offline PN-G bamatex

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »
OMG, this scares me.  I finally found something to agree with you on!  ::) Funny, I own a Toyota car and it was built entirely in Kentucky.

Nissan is building in Mississippi (and, at last check, they were thinking about building a plant in Texas, although this was before the economic slump) and Toyota has plants here in Texas. It's ironic that the foreign companies are on the fasttrack to becoming the largest employers of Americans. It's even more ironic that they are doing so without the government money that our own companies are receiving. Granted, they do not offer the same wages or benefits, but that contributes to the economic strategy that has put them in this position.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:25:21 PM by bandkid »
The thing about being an Indian is that you're an Indian, no matter what. It doesn't matter if you play soccer or a tuba, it doesn't matter if you're on the football team or the drill team, it doesn't matter if you lead the cheers or the jeers. You're still part of that "Honor, Pride, & Tradition."

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 12:46:47 AM »
Toyota is offering buyouts to 18,000 U.S. auto workers.

The next car/truck I buy will be a Ford.  Top rated quality, and they didn't sell out to to the govt.
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline PN-G bamatex

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 08:06:58 AM »

The next car/truck I buy will be a Ford.  Top rated quality, and they didn't sell out to to the govt.

Good point, even though those new Silverados look so good.

I'm a Chevy fan, in case you couldn't tell.

Offline squaw

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »

We have a great Ford truck and, I promise, the next car I buy will be from an American manufacturer.

Offline IndianFan

• Founder-Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »
Chinese buyers prefer U.S. cars while U.S. buyers prefer Japanese.  Another indication of the upside down world we live in.  And why manufacturing will shift as necessary to where the demand is.
---

BBC NEWS
China's car industry overtakes US

By Chris Hogg
BBC Shanghai Correspondent

New figures have shown that in December, for the first time ever, there have been more cars sold in China than the United States.

A total of 735,000 automobiles were sold in China last month, compared to 656,976 vehicles were sold in the US.

The reason, analysts say, is that the slump in sales in China has been less severe than the slump in the US - not exactly a cause for celebration for carmakers here.

But the truth is there are worse places to be in the car business than in China at the moment.

It's one of the few places in the world where if you visit a car showroom you'll meet a steady stream of customers.

American appeal

At lunchtime in one in Shanghai's Pudong district, Tang Liang, a gangly young man is being shown a large family car made by the US firm General Motors and its Chinese partner.

The salesman is assiduous, answering all his questions as Tang jumps in and out of the vehicle, clearly impressed by how it feels to sit in the driving seat.

"We're all quite tall in our family," he says. "Small cars aren't that comfortable."

So why is he interested in buying an American car? "I long for America," he smiles. "Its democracy. Its cars."

He's laughing, but he's not joking. He's impressed by the car.

Above him is a flag with an American eagle.

To those Chinese who can afford them US models are often more attractive than the cheaper, local alternatives, says Wu Ai Lian, the local sales manager.

Her branch sold nearly 1600 cars last year.

"Business isn't bad," she says. "GM has been number one in China for many years. People think their cars use a lot of fuel but we tell them they're safer. Nothing is more valuable than your life. American cars might use more fuel but they're good quality."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/7879372.stm
3-time State Champions
6-time State Finalist
Honor, Pride, Tradition
www.pngindians.com

Offline PN-G bamatex

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
Chinese buyers prefer U.S. cars while U.S. buyers prefer Japanese.  Another indication of the upside down world we live in.  And why manufacturing will shift as necessary to where the demand is.
---

American appeal

At lunchtime in one in Shanghai's Pudong district, Tang Liang, a gangly young man is being shown a large family car made by the US firm General Motors and its Chinese partner.

The salesman is assiduous, answering all his questions as Tang jumps in and out of the vehicle, clearly impressed by how it feels to sit in the driving seat.

"We're all quite tall in our family," he says. "Small cars aren't that comfortable."

So why is he interested in buying an American car? "I long for America," he smiles. "Its democracy. Its cars."

He's laughing, but he's not joking. He's impressed by the car.

Above him is a flag with an American eagle.

To those Chinese who can afford them US models are often more attractive than the cheaper, local alternatives, says Wu Ai Lian, the local sales manager.

Her branch sold nearly 1600 cars last year.

"Business isn't bad," she says. "GM has been number one in China for many years.
People think their cars use a lot of fuel but we tell them they're safer. Nothing is more valuable than your life. American cars might use more fuel but they're good quality."

And this is why we need to get back to drilling more oil and selling cheap gasoline. We can get to alternatives later, but, right now, we need to drill more oil, sell those cars, and get our economy back on track. Once we have things back to normal, we can look into alternatives.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 12:55:50 PM by bandkid »

Offline PNG NDN Fan

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
I bought a Texas Edition F150 last October at the end of the model year, got a good deal on it and love it so far.  Prior to that I had 97 Silverado is was generally happy over the 11 years I owned it.  My Dad drives it now and has it looking better than I ever did. Funny how that happens :)

Offline pngfan93

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:29 PM »
I hate to say it, but my next truck will be a GMC.  They are dang good looking trucks, and I'm shallow like that about my vehicles.   ;D